How can you make your production process more efficient and cost-effective? If your current production scheduling system has cost you inordinate time, money, or has caused you to lose client trust, it is time for a solution you can count on. Production scheduling is the process of arranging, controlling and optimizing resources in a production, manufacturing or distribution process. Scheduling allocates plant and machinery resources, as well as human resources. It assigns raw materials to assorted products and ensures their on-time delivery.
Steps for Successful Production Scheduling
A structured production scheduling method is essential for businesses that are looking to take their production operations to the next level. The components that make it successful carry heavy weight as they all affect the entire supply chain. In fact, production scheduling is responsible for some of the most important key performance indicators in the supply chain as a whole.
Here are the vital steps for production scheduling:
- Planning – During the planning phase, you outline the strategy for creating a product from conception to completion. Keep in mind, when planning production scheduling, you are laying the foundation for the success of the process in the future.
- Routing – The production routing process determines the ideal path the products should follow. This consists of the path from raw materials to finished products.
- Scheduling – Scheduling is a vital component as it determines the production process steps. It is essential for a manufacturing operation to proceed.
- Dispatching – This is the process of moving the goods and people from one location to the next.
- Execution – The last component of production is overseeing the proper execution of the created schedule to ensure that items are produced in the right order and delivered on time.
In the event that you create a production schedule that is inaccurate and infeasible given your available resources, you will struggle to have items produced and delivered to your customers on time.
Each of these components must be nurtured in order to achieve a cohesive and stable operation. Since each step builds on the previous one, it is crucial to select a system that supports seamless execution down the line. Using obsolete excel spreadsheets to guide the operation’s execution creates a problem of inaccuracy and can result in missing delivery dates.
The Efficient Approach
Advanced software systems provide integrated solutions and insight you need within your operation. Don’t you want to ensure that no production scheduling components are overlooked? All it takes is one misstep to potentially take down the entire process and your company with it.
Attivo All-in-One, powered by SAP Business One, offers you and your team integrated production scheduling that will provide visibility into promised dates, and allow for optimization of capacity, avoiding overtime and increasing profits. With our easy-to-use, affordable ERP solution, you can eliminate scheduling errors and missed opportunities. Contact our ERP experts today!